The Placement YearFor each student on the Tonmeister programme the third year of registration is normally a Professional Training Year (PTY), during which they will be working for an employer in the audio industry. The PTY scheme has advantages for employers and for students...
For EmployersThis leaflet explains the gist of the placement scheme, gives some examples of how it might help you as an employer, and mentions a few of the other employers who use it: TonmeisterPlacements.pdf
Employers who have registered their intention to offer a placement this year can view shortlists of candidates plus CVs on our Members Only Website.For further information please contact the Tonmeister Senior Professional Training Tutor Tim Brookes
For StudentsThe placement year forms an important part of your education and aims to develop your professional, practical, interpersonal, organisational, and creative &/or technical skills, and to allow you to apply some of the theory that you have learned in the first two years of the programme. Full placement scheme details for current students are available in the programme handbooks and module descriptions but, as a taster, here (in no particular order) is what some of the students on placement in 2018/19 thought were the 5 'coolest' (i.e. most useful, interesting, remarkable, exciting, impressive, enjoyable, etc.) things about their placements...
Alex : Blast Recordings : Assistant Engineer
- Acted on Britain's Got Talent
- Recorded The Hairy Bikers' band
- Got to play in the studio with Sam Fender's guitarist
- Wrote and recorded my own music
- Learnt so much about recording, editing and mixing
Tom : Sky : Audio Assistant / Trainee Dubbing Mixer
- Received 4 TV credits on Sky One and Sky Arts
- Dialogue, music and SFX edited 2 eps of a Sky One drama
- Edited and mixed 2 series of a Sky One show
- Coded an app to improve a prep work-flow
- Attended a Foley recording session
Ben : BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra : Trainee Audio Supervisor
- Mixed a concert with soloist Elisabeth Leonskaja while on tour in Salzburg
- Credited as assistant engineer on a Berlin Classics CD
- Got to travel all around Scotland
- Mixed news and sports programs live to the radio waves
- Moved some mics at the BBC Proms and BBC Proms in the Park
Daniel : Dynaudio A/S : Intern, Acoustic Engineering
- Measured speakers in a gigantic, state-of-the-art measuring chamber
- Learned how to design a driver
- Used a laser scanning vibrometer to visualise the modes of diaphragms and spiders
- Broke some very expensive prototype speakers
- Got loads of free drivers and speakers as a leaving present
Tom: Plus 4 Audio : Trainee Sound Engineer
- Had lots of responsibility
- Did a broad range of jobs
- Got to learn how to use world-class equipment
- Worked in a friendly team happy to teach new joiners
- Learned how to do the best job to high standards
Freddie : Abbey Road Studios : Studio Runner
- Learnt a lot about Tea and Coffee
- Recorded and met some personal heroes
- Worked with legendary and rare pieces of equipment
- Held the door open for Paul McCartney
- Learnt how to pull a pint of Guinness
Isobel: Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Recording Assistant
- Directed a video recording at the Barbican Hall
- Recorded voiceovers for a museum exhibition
- Vision mixed multiple cameras for operas and large scale jazz concerts
- Engineered classical and jazz studio sessions
- Filmed and Edited a video promoting music therapy course
Tom : Focusrite Novation : Production Engineering Intern
- Designed the factory test procedure for the Novation Summit
- Was part of the team that created Scarlett 3rd Gen
- Created an app to improve the workflow many of my colleagues
- Designed a tool to aid demand planning for manufacturing and part ordering
- Was involved in the development of many new products
Jake : Catherine Songs : Assistant Engineer
- Engineered for high profile artists - songs to be released in the near future!
- Made lots of contacts with great producers and songwriters and attained a much better knowledge of the industry.
- Had lots of studio downtime to make music with friends and bands.
- Made pasta for Westlife.
- Gained far too much knowledge of Melodyne.
Jen : Ben Holland Sound : Sound/Dubbing Assistant
- Credited on multiple prime time TV shows.
- Recorded and mixed an award winning short film.
- Met and worked with high profile talent from RuPaul to Simon Cowell.
- Went to many wrap parties and made the most of the free bars.
- Was pitch side at Headingley for Stokes' legendary innings.
Tom : The Dairy Ltd. : Assistant Engineer
- Engineered sessions with The Kooks, Guy Garvey, Des'ree and Ady Suleiman.
- Provided backing vocals and guitar for multiple artists and producers.
- Met top producers including Dan Weller, Starsmith and GRADES.
- Used the studios in downtime to develop my own production and writing.
- Petted a healthy number of studio dogs.
Katie : Real World : Studio Assistant
- Assisted my favourite childhood band record their new album
- Became best friends with Guy Garvey
- Had dinner with Lianne La Havas
- Fell over tragically in front of Harry Styles's band
- Drank a lot of whisky (with some wonderful people)
Martha : BBC Radio 3 : Trainee Studio Manager
- Was recommended amongst the Radio 3 producers to undertake complicated edits.
- Engineered my own chamber music session at Maida Vale Studios.
- Performed on-stage mic moves live on air in front of a sold-out Albert Hall during the BBC Proms.
- Assisted on a Radio 1 live lounge session.
- Met and chatted with my childhood hero Michael Palin.
Tom : Tileyard London : Studio Assistant
- Engineered and produced small and large sessions, often single-handedly.
- Performed vinyl cuts and tape transcriptions using rare and one-of-a-kind equipment.
- Worked on temp-score editing and music supervision for a Netflix series and a Guy Ritchie film.
- Had access to the facilities on a regular basis for recording, production and writing.
- Became well-informed about the intricacies of how a record label is run.
Natasha : AIR Studios : Studio Runner
- Worked with amazing composers on some of the biggest films of the year.
- Met and worked with some of my favourite artists such as Thom Yorke and Nao.
- Was surrounded by world class desks and microphones every day.
- Ran my own downtime session with a band.
- Met some amazing engineers, composers and musicians.
John : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Recording Assistant
- Mixed multiple live jazz gigs throughout the year
- Engineered a big classical project and learned from an experienced producer
- Recorded at Barbican hall
- Filmed a live music video
- Recorded big bands on many occasions
Tom : Pindrop : Studio Assistant
- Learned editing and mixing techniques from top-class engineers.
- Attended mixes at almost all the big studios in London.
- Got creative with Britain’s top indie filmmakers like Jessica Hynes and Craig Roberts.
- Made great friends with the folks at Strongroom Studios.
- Made stupid noises.
Ned : Monnow Valley Studio : Studio Assistant
- Received credits on several commercial albums
- Got to talk about music with world-renowned producers such as Ethan Johns and Jason Perry
- Played bass on a professional recording session
- Received multiple hugs from Andrew Scheps
- Made Robert Plant a coffee
Richard : Peter Gabriel Ltd. : Assistant Engineer
- Performed bass guitar live onstage alongside Peter Gabriel and Bill Bailey at a gig in Berlin
- Engineered writing sessions for high profile artists
- Set up turntables for LTJ Bukem at WOMAD Festival
- Recorded Peter Gabriel live in Toronto and visited Niagara Falls
- Credited on a Peter Gabriel album
Tom : Floating Earth Ltd and Signum Records : Assistant Recording Engineer, Mastering Engineer and Editor
- Mixed a selection of tracks for commercial release
- Mastered multiple albums for various record labels
- Worked as recording engineer on sessions with well known artists
- Edited 5 CDs of Bach's Organ Works back-to-back
- Hung out in the roof of the Festival Hall, Albert Hall and the O2 Arena
Robbie : Ableton : Production Assistant
- Was able to live in beautiful Berlin for a year
- Worked on movies that have received hundreds of thousands of views online
- Travelled to Los Angeles for a month, all expenses paid
- Learnt a lot about beer
- Worked with an incredibly skilled, diverse and welcoming team, and made some great friends
Sam : Monnow Valley/ICP Studios : Assistant Engineer
- Worked with, became good friends with and still chat to one of Frank Zappa's ex-bandmates; Mike Keneally
- Made Andrew Scheps fusilli in a parsley and chilli butter (he loved it)
- Was given VIP passes to, and attended the Frank Zappa hologram tour in Ostend
- Was told by Oscar winning composer Ludovic Bource that he could tell I was a composer too
- Watched Devin Townsend, Mike Keneally, Nathan Navarro and Morgen Agren jamming for 2 hours
Tim : London Symphony Orchestra Discovery : Digital Discovery Placement Student
- Mixed livestream using a MIDI keyboard and a Max Patch.
- Engineered a broadcast of LSO violinists from Youtube Space London.
- Recorded and mixed a twelve piece free-jazz album for vinyl release.
- Created a virtual instrument for use in an LSO international concert tour.
- Sat on stage with the LSO and 'create' participants for a performance of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy'.
Tania : Freelance : Live Music
- Met Miss Lauryn Hill.
- Stopped a show because the president of Albania had swum out too far at sea.
- Set up a massive tarp on a boat so people could keep dancing in a thunder storm.
- Danced from sunset to sunrise at a Hunee set side stage.
- Hung out with Tank and the Bangas.